How old is Henry?

baby

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Leashes...not just for dogs anymore!

Before I had Henry, I thought putting a leash on a child was a strange idea. It seemed odd to see a parent "walking" their toddler using a harness and a leash. Well, now that I have a VERY active toddler who loves to RUN AWAY from me into streets or out of stores or into kitchens at restaurants or anywhere else he pleases, a child on a leash doesn't sound like such a bad idea. Henry is not a child who likes to stay near his mommy when we're out. He doesn't cling to me in public. He is not afraid to venture out on his own. This scares me. I usually have Henry in a stroller or a shopping cart when we're out, but sometimes he gets tired of being in the stroller. If I dare to let him out, he immediately runs away, and keeps running until I catch him. He tries to open doors. He tries to leave buildings. He tries to cross streets...and gets mad when I won't let him. So, if Henry is not in a stroller, someone needs to be within arm's length at all times...grabbing onto his shirt...much like having him on a leash. Recently when I've seen parents with their toddlers wearing harnesses and leashes, it hasn't seemed like such a bad idea. Especially if the harness looks like a cute little backpack shaped like a teddy bear! Then it's downright adorable!

It's a cuddly teddy bear buddy.

Please ignore the string of drool hanging from Henry's binky.Yes, I bought a harness and leash for Henry. I'd rather walk around with my child on a leash than have him get hit by a car or some other horrible free-range toddler accident. So far he's only worn the harness...I mean backpack... in the house so that he gets used to it. He doesn't seem to mind it at all. We'll see what happens when we add the leash...I mean strap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm all for it!! Leashes are the next 'in' thing -- we'll see it on the runway any day now.

A.Liz

Kathleen said...

I remember Mom wanting to put Jeff on a leash. In fact, maybe she did.

I like the new-style 2007 version of the leash, though.

A.Kath

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I did have Jeff on a leash--in the LA Airport when he was 22 months old and would disappear in a flash. Of course, Kath was holding my hand and Liz was in the stroller-- neither of which Jeff was interested in doing.

Henry's leash is much cuter.