How old is Henry?

baby

Sunday, November 04, 2007

I'm NOT ready...

for THIS!

Henry has been completely obsessed with going potty. On many mornings, the first thing he says when I walk into his bedroom is, "Mommy go potty!" He encourages me to go...often. When I do oblige, he stands nearby smiling, and then says, "paper toilet, paper toilet" over and over again. Sometimes he helps me out by unrolling a large mass of toilet paper and shoving it at me. When it's all over, he waves and says, "Bye-bye pee pee!"

When I ask Henry to come into the kitchen, he usually ignores me. When I tell him that it's time to go bye-bye, he usually ignores me. When I call him into his room for a diaper change, he usually ignores me. But, if I say "Mommy's going potty" he runs toward the bathroom with lightning speed.

I'm really not ready for potty training. My plan was to wait until next summer when he's 2 years and 8 months. That way, I'll be home for several weeks in a row, and we can really work on it in earnest. But, since Henry is so interested in OTHER PEOPLE going to the bathroom, I though maybe he should try it out himself. The first time I tried to put him on the toilet, he arched his back and screamed and freaked out. O.K. I get it. We didn't try that again for a while. But, recently he's started saying, "Henry sit on toilet." So, a few days ago we got out the little seat that fits on top of the regular toilet, and sat him on it. After about 5 seconds, he said "All done!" He didn't do anything on the toilet in those 5 seconds, but he was happy with himself. Since then, I've sat him on his toilet seat several times, and he hasn't done anything...until this morning. He actually peed about 2 or 3 drops. He was very happy with himself!

Maybe it was a fluke. Because, really, I'm not ready for this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't blame you. Going potty on the toilet is a whole lot of trouble. But, if he stays in diapers for a few more months --like six or seven--it will all work for you.

Cute picture!